Clogged Drain: Discovering Freedom in your Life

For a year and a half, I've been taking showers without a problem. Then I realized my drain was a little clogged. The water was draining slower and I knew it was a simple problem I could fix. I went to the store to buy the chemical I needed and followed the instructions. As I expected, the problem was solved and I could take showers again without a problem.

A few weeks later, however, it got clogged again. I still had the rest of the chemical, though, so I applied the rest and fixed the problem again. But a couple weeks later, the problem came back again. I didn't want to buy more of the chemical, so I waited to see if it would get better by itself. I fixed the problem on my end, so I assumed someone above or below me was having a problem and that's why my drain was clogged.

I was moving out soon, so I thought I could just ignore the problem and wait until I moved on to have it dealt with. The problem got worse again. I would check back hours later and see my bathroom was still flooded with water. Now, hair and soap residue were scattered on the floor and it was too much to handle.

Finally, I decided to take a look at the problem. I lifted up the drain cover and I was shocked. It wasn't a problem in someone else's bathroom. My drain was completely saturated with hair, soap, mold and mildew. It smelled terrible and it was one big mess. I pulled everything out and realized the drain cover couldn't prevent hair from being sucked under. Since there wasn't a proper drain cover, it was only a matter of time before everything got clogged. After I removed all that gunk, the drain functioned flawlessly and I could take a shower again in a clean bathroom.

Being set free is like that. For a while we don't have a problem, but if we don't protect our mind and body, it will build up over time. One day, we discover we have a problem, so we seek the easiest solution that money can buy. It seems to work, but the root cause is still there, so it simply comes back again. We apply the same treatment only to find the problem return again later. Next, we think we can wait it out and experience freedom through time.

When that time keeps extending, we blame others, knowing the problem can't be with ourselves since we already applied the treatment for it. The truth is, we have to open up the drain cover to see all the junk, pain, issues, hurt, and sin within our own hearts. Everything blocking our spirit with the Holy Spirit must be removed completely and we need to be cleansed by the blood of Jesus. It's only then that we experience true freedom in Christ.

A lot of Christians know that nothing is impossible for those that believe, but we put a lot of extra interpretations on this truth (Mark 9:23). We know that Jesus will give us whatever we ask in His name, but we make restrictions to make it easier to believe (John 14:14). Some say it has to be the Father's will, or it has to be for our own good, or it can't be something ridiculous; it has to be reasonable.

The Bible doesn't give restrictions. It says nothing is impossible with God (Matthew 19:26). The problem is we've asked and we didn't receive, so we start to believe not everything is possible for those who believe, only some things are. Even when we ask for good things and don't receive them, we make theologies around why it didn't happen. Jesus said you have to become like a child to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Nothing is impossible with God means just that. If you don't receive it maybe it's what James was talking about: James 4:2 You crave what you do not have. You kill and covet, but are unable to obtain it. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 And when you do ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may squander it on your pleasures.

Or, maybe it's because you need to open the drain cover and really deal with the evil inside your heart. The Father gives good gifts to those who ask Him, even the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13)! Check your heart and believe, just like a child (Matthew 18:3). Nothing is impossible for those who believe (Mark 9:23). Don't give up, oh you of little faith (Matthew 8:26). Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Amen!